Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Duty is Heavier Than a Mountain


This quote borrowed from one of my favorite authors often described the excessive burdens and hardships experienced by two of my favorite characters in Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series; AL’Lan Mandragoran and Rand Al’Thor. The entire quote is, “Death is light as a feather but duty is heavy as a mountain.” In my life at present both duty and death seem to be playing a large role. Though in this case they both seem heavy as a mountain. To explain, as part of my job I am responsible, on occasion to be on call 24/7 to assist any Americans who might find themselves in trouble while visiting or living in the Philippines. The problems can range from something as simple as losing a wallet to something as serious as death. To address any such emergencies, I was given a small cheap looking phone which I have now not-so-affectionately called the “little grey mobile phone of death.” I am charged with answering the phone immediately should it ring and try to solve the problem of the person on the other line. Unfortunately every time I have picked up the phone the person on the other end tells me someone has died. Not much I can do there! To make matters worse I have to ask them things like what is their passport number and do they have a birth certificate. Just the kind of things you want to be asked during such a moment I am sure. This is only day two, hopefully the rest of my time in this job passes by with few more incidents, or at least ones less . . . tragic.

No comments:

Post a Comment